Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Memory

Like many others, I went through a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber phase. It certainly wasn't because of my dad's great disgust with "Cats" though. He took my mom to see "Cats" when I was fairly young and from that night on we have heard him lament having to spend 2 1/2 hrs. listening to a bunch of cats sing and about nothing to boot. If you ever want to get Mark Neider going, just ask him about the musical "Cats".

My love had to be garnered from other areas. When I was a sophomore in high school our marching band's half time and competitive show was based on "The Phantom of the Opera" (Did you forget I was a band nerd?) We won everything we competed in and I fell in love with the music. In fact, it was at this time that I 1st got to know my sister-in-law Colleen. She played the part of "Christine" and danced herself all across the field. She was dating Ryan at the time and it was fun to hang out with an older girl on the bus while we traveled around. My junior year my dad got us tickets to Phantom and we went while on vacation in California. It is truly one of those stand out moments in my life. My dad got us the tickets a few months before we went and I kept them closely guarded in my top drawer. I remember getting in trouble over some teenage misstep, probably over a boy, and he took them away from me and said one of my brothers would take my place. I was devastated! He hung onto them for quite sometime, but the week of our trip he brought them to me and said,"Do you really think I would keep you from the show?" My dad has always been a sucker for his girls! We went the same week of the L.A. riots and were scared to death to be driving around the area the theater was in (right across the street from the courthouse), but we weren't about to miss it. The theater was practically empty and my Dad, who had bought himself a cheaper ticket than us girls, was able to sneak down to the orchestra seats. He ended up with better orchestra seats than us! It was a BEAUTIFUL night and my memory of that night will forever be attached to that music and to my dad. I have played many, many Lloyd Webber songs in my time as a flutist, so it was very fun to hear tonight's music.

*Sayesha: I really loved this performance. It was my favorite of the night. It suited her and she really could be successful on Broadway I think. You could tell she didn't want to hear that, but it is true.

*Jason: I just didn't like him tonight...my heart hurts. "Memory" didn't suit him at all and he was way out of his element.

*Brooke: The poor thing has had to start over 2 times now this season. She is over thinking things and this type of music is way over her abilities. While I like her voice, it is not strong enough to tackle these songs. I medium liked this one.

*David A.: This was not at all what I expected and I surprised myself because I enjoyed it. He was the only one to twist the song enough to make it contemporary.

*Carley: Irreverence of the song topic aside...she did fine with this. She does tend to yell a lot and my throat hurts when I listen to her, but she was my 2nd fav performance of the night.

*David C.: Before I discuss his singing merits I need to get something off my chest. After paying attention to my sister's observations, I looked at his head in comparison to Ryan Seacrest's. Holy cow! Either Ryan has a teeny, tiny head or David C. has an enormous, gigantic head. I think it's David. In honor of this, he will here on out be referred to as David "The Head" Cook. Also, a few words from the movie 'So I Married and Axe Murderer':

Stuart MacKenzie: Look at the size of that boy's heed.
Tony Giardino: Shhh!
Stuart MacKenzie: I'm not kidding, it's like an orange on a toothpick.
Tony Giardino: Shhh, you're going to give the boy a complex.
Stuart MacKenzie: Well, that's a huge noggin. That's a virtual planetoid.
Tony Giardino: Shh!
Stuart MacKenzie: Has it's own weather system.
Tony Giardino: Sh, sh, shh.
Stuart MacKenzie: HEAD! MOVE! I'm not kidding, that boy's heed is like Sputnik; spherical but quite pointy at parts! Now that was offside, wasn't it? He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow. HEED! PANTS! NOW!

OK! I can now continue. The Head hit the high notes really good. I kinda held my breath when he was getting ready to hit some of them and when he hit them I gave a sigh of relief. That could have been embarrassing! I didn't particularly like this performance, especially when he went down to the lower notes. He's not really a 'melodic' singer. I disagree with what Randy and Paula had to say. It wasn't that great, but fine.

Possible bottom three: Brooke, Jason, Carley...I think it's time to choose a new favorite. Mine aren't doing too hot, as is usually the case by this point in the season. My 1st choice has yet to win the coveted title. Maybe I'm a jinx!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I got to catch up on your blog. I was busy last night and couldn't watch AI! Thanks for filling me in.

By the way, under your post, "The Soundtrack of my Life," I had been thinking that you had forgotten about "The Phantom of the Opera" music for your sophomore year. I was going to mention that and you just reminded me.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I am glad that you took note of the size difference in heads.

Josie said...

I wanted to cry for Jason. totally out of his element. If the song writer says are you sure you want to sing this maybe choose a new song. Brooke, I thought the song was suited for her voice, but she is trying too hard because she has been in the bottom three. David A. I thought did real well. Carley did well, and didn't you play this one in band as well? I swear you played it the first of the soph. year and we did a routine for it for the parade???? I could hear you singing to it the whole time! I didn't know the words til you sang them to me. The "head" surprised me. I honestly didn't think he could pull of a phantom song and at first I cringed. Not bad is my vote. I think of him as a guy who was a band geek and he is trying to act like the Daughtry guy and he doesn't know how to really pull it off. Bottom three: Brooke (but I think her fans will vote for her enough to stay in) Jason (same here his fans will keep him going) and Syesha ( her fans might not come through). I think tonight we could have another upset because those that did poorly will get all the votes because their fans want them to stay on the show, and those that did well might be in the bottom because people will think they are safe. That's just me thinking way too much!

Lyf2.0 said...

Ugh! I was so bummed with Brooke. She seems to be getting steadily worse with each week. She isn't a power singer, but she's got the Carly Simon thing going on.

My bottom 3: Brooke, Castro, Syesha. With Cast-GOing home.

Lyf2.0 said...

I can't believe Brooke made it and Carly went home. I think if Carly had picked a different song, she probably would have stayed.

Emily Rae said...

I'm soooooo happy that Brooke and Jason made it! I thought for sure one of them would be goners. My voting efforts will be double next week for sure.

andrea said...

I can't believe Carly went home either. What a shock. Do any of you guys vote? I haven't yet, but am tempted. Castro and Brook should have been in the bottom.

andrea said...

We noticed the head thing and really cracked up.

Twisted Sister said...

I'm going to go and check out his head thing. I better see what ya'll are talking about.