Saturday, April 5, 2008

Simple Answers

I've been looking forward to this conference weekend for awhile now and knowing that I had nothing scheduled and no where to go, I knew I would be able to watch all 4 conference sessions. I can't think of the last time this was possible. It seems like with the hustle and bustle of life I often become detached from spiritual matters, all the while knowing I need to be doing more. I've been craving spiritual edifying of late. I know it is due to the great responsibility James and I have been given with the raising of our 4 lively children. Everyday my mind is filled with a desire to do better and work harder for them. James and I want our home to be a safe haven and a place the kids want to be. I want to yell less and love more...thus I am on my knees a lot praying for the know how to do just that. On some days it is nearly impossible to keep things in perspective. I find myself saying out loud numerous times a day, "He's only 3. He doesn't understand," or "1, 2, 3, 4..." So this morning I rolled out of bed, hit the floor and asked Heavenly Father 3 things. The first was to ask for a true knowledge of President Monson as our new prophet and leader. The second was to please uplift me through the words I would hear about my role as a mother and how to make my home a safe haven. And third, I prayed that the kids would allow me to listen to conference peacefully. Some requests are answered quickly...

First request answered: The moment I saw President Monson and over and over as the solemn assembly proceeded the Spirit witnessed to my heart that Thomas S. Monson is our prophet, seer and revelator. I felt that warmness all over that we hear so often about. If felt good and I'm happy to say, "I know". As so many others are, I have felt a great sadness at the loss of President Hinckley. What a great man and what a wonderful spirit. I was tickled to hear President Monson poke fun at Joseph B. Wirthlin about calling him at 8:00 pm German time, which was midnight SLC time. It was the only 'good time to reach him'. We need that sense of humor to continue as it makes the leaders real and human. Last week a brother in our ward told us about the Jazz game he had went to last week and how President Monson had walked in just before the game started and was able to sit down and enjoy the game. Somehow its a comfort to know even our prophet can catch a Jazz game.

Second request answered: The first speaker of the morning was Russell M. Nelson and his talk was the very thing I have been praying about for the last few months. I must have a direct line to Heavenly Father! I needed this talk so badly and I felt so very much lifted and inspired. My favorite thing that he said was how, "Salvation is an individual matter. Exaltation is a family matter." He spoke about parenthood and how we cannot be released from this calling like we can a church calling. It is our duty to teach our children about God with patience and love. The love needs to be sincere. We shouldn't control our children, but listen, inspire and lead. This last line was especially meant for me. I feel I try to 'control' my children rather than listen to them and inspire and lead them. I love conference for this matter alone...it inspires me to want to be better and work harder.

Third request answered: I never told my kids they had to sit and listen to conference. I was planning on making them for Sunday's session, but not Saturday. I put Tess to bed and when I turned on the television I was pleasantly surprised to watch the other 3 gather up crayons and their conference books and come and sit with me. ALL of them sat quietly through the entire morning session coloring, listening, quietly rolling on the floor. I could hardly believe it. This is a modern day miracle where Nate is concerned. He is a rambunctious boy and to see him lolling about on a blanket in front of the television for 2 whole hrs. was amazing. Now the afternoon session was a whole other story, but for the session I especially needed to hear with President Nelson's talk, I was able to do just that.

I didn't see an angel or have a vision, but my testimony was simply edified and confirmed today by the answers to these simple requests made by a weary mother. Funny, I don't feel so weary anymore.

0 comments: