So I don't normally have such a negative take on American Idol. I'm really starting to bum myself out, as well as various blog stalkers who peek, but don't comment online. My apologies if I'm bringing you down way low with me and my disheartening AI malaise. Please stick with me and don't give up on me...There's always next week and there is always the finale, which has been pure entertainment the last 2 years in a row. One of my most favorite television moments was Chris Daughtry singing 'Mystery' with Live. This is one of my favorite songs of all times. James didn't feel too bad about his almost baldhead after watching me swoon over Chris and the lead singer of Live. I'm providing a link to watch the performance on YouTube, which doesn't do their voices justice. It was much better than can be displayed on YouTube. If you're interested also check out his 'Suspicious Minds' and 'Higher Ground'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4urjxPL_z4&feature=related
Also, after watching a few of Chris Daughtry's clips I remembered why I like him so much and why I feel like something is missing this season. Other seasons have provided 'performers', people who were fun to watch and engaging. I don't feel like there are any performers this season. For the most part they stand in the center of the stage and sing. I find it very boring. Chris and David are completely different kinds of 'rockers' and I prefer Daughtry a million times more. He is much more believable. He doesn't pull any hokey faces, doesn't try to 'be cool' and takes the compliments/criticism with ease. He's just cool.
Keeping my malaise in mind and a strong desire to shake it, here our my thoughts:
I LOVE Neal Diamond! I have his greatest hits and have spent many "Thursday Cleaning Days" scrubbing toilets to 'Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show'. It really gets the heart pumping and cleaning gets done a lot faster. And who can forget "Saving Silverman" and the boy's Neal Diamond cover band? Jack Black in a flashy silk shirt singing 'Cherry, Cherry' is priceless. I was again looking forward to this night, just like many nights before. *Sigh* I'm with Simon...these are the top 5 and they need to be putting in over the top, fabulous performances and I don't feel like that happened. Am I just punishing AI because my favorites aren't the successful ones? For the record-my favorites aren't doing too hot. They continue to let me down week after week and now I've hit stubborn mode and am having a hard time opening my heart to any others. I think they have come to the conclusion and acceptance of the fact that the Davids will be the final two and the other 3 are over thinking things, while the Davids continue to be 'surprised' about their comments. Are they really 'The Bomb' or is Randy saying that to convince the viewers that there is actually talent in the remaining 5 that will make them $$$? I'm at a total loss and I need to hear some feedback from those who remain optimistic about the final 5. If you are one of the Davids' fans tell me why! Do you really, truly like their style? Are you settling? Are you prepared to invest in their music? These are all life altering questions I know. Ponder them deeply.
Jason Castro- Remains safe and the same. He had a folksy vibe going with tonight's performances, but nothing memorable.
The Head- Again nothing different for me. I didn't like his 1st song at all and his attempts to sound 'smoky'. It wasn't necessarily him; I just don't like that particular song. His 2nd song did sound more contemporary and it was OK.
Brooke-Come on! I know she has it in her to do something great. She really needs to be performing much better than she has been. I much prefer her behind the piano and therefore liked her 2nd performance the best. Her 1st was just a mess. She was nervous and shaky and looked like a small nocturnal creature stuck in oncoming traffic in the dead of the night. Her 2nd performance was stronger in voice, style and attitude. Stick with the piano Brooke.
David A- I didn't like his tweaked version of 'Sweet Caroline'. As far as I'm concerned that is a classic that you simply don't mess with. It was very weird to me. I've tried to figure out for weeks now what is holding me back on this sweet kid. He has a beautiful voice, but he always sounds like he's singing from behind a door.
Awesome! Def Leopard is singing 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' on Dancing With the Stars. I'll be back... I'm back. Let me put my 'Rock On' fingers away...Maybe AI should have a Def Leopard night. That would TOTALLY ROCK! I'd actually pay to see David A. sing:
'Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on, Livin' like a lover with a radar phone, Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp, Demolition woman, can I be your man?'
Sorry back to David and the behind the door idea...He has a nice voice, but it always sounds dampened. I would like to hear it without the breathy quality. For the Davidites: Is that what you like about his voice?
Syesha-She was definitely the most fun to watch. She is a performer. I like watching her move across the stage instead of stand in one place and pump the arm not occupied with the microphone. She did do good tonight and is, in my opinion, one of the more talented vocal singers. I just wish there was something different and unique about her. There are millions of girls across the country singing in choirs just like her. She is sooo classy and beautiful though and I would like to see her do well. She may become my new favorite if she makes it longer than Brooke and Jason.
Bottom 3-Do we even need to speculate? Brooke, Jason and Syesha. I will again offer a bag of M&M's for anyone brave enough to go up against my bet on the Davids being the final 2.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Song Sung Blues
Musings by Emily Rae at 4/29/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





12 comments:
I'll take your bet just for something to do. I'm bored and tired right this minute so not at my best judgement. I say only one David makes it.
Wow... you must have been typing while you were watching...
I think "The Head" was the only one who made some 30-year-old songs more contemporary. I actually thought he did a decent job, especially on #2.
Dude! And what was up with Paula! Holy crap! She totally messed that one up critiquing Castro's "second" song... Nut job! She needs to lay off the juice...
I like bets, but I think I am going to have to agree with everything you said. I was not wowed by anyone tonight. Jason was a complete mess, and he knows it. Brooke a disaster on the first song, better on the second. After tonight I thought both the David's final two, and no I don't like either of their styles.
Well.............this was my favorite AI yet. Loved the songs, disagreed with almost everything that was said. I really liked Jason and have never liked him before. It must have been the songs. Rich thought David Cooke was great.......I was blah on him. He doesn't have the sex appeal to me.
I love Brook but that first song. Give me a break. She doesn't deserve to be there, but like others I love her. She will be lucky to survive, although, Simon really likes her for some reason.
David A................Typically David A.
Syesha -- well Hello Again is one of my favorite songs of all time --so she bowled me over. I called and voted for her. Can you believe it?
I agree that the judges think the Davids are the final two. We will see.
I did ask Rich to down load all of the songs from last night. Loved the show eventhough it was crammed together. If we all lived close we could get together to watch The Jazz Singer. Ok.........I better get to work.
Is that what attracted you to Rich way back when...the sex appeal? I know that is what is holding me back. If he were even slightly appealing to me I could see me really liking him.
BTW...with Rich's background, who is his ultimate favorite?
Emily, it is so weird how the things I don't even realize I thought, you articulate on your blog. When Randy says things are "the bomb" I'm like, "So that's what the 'bomb' is suppose to be? I didn't realize." And what is wrong with Paula?! Critiquing Jason's second song prematurely does not help her reputation!
I did watch those three performances by Chris Daughtry. There is such a huge difference! You can see what a REALLY great performer and entertainer is. And no one has to convince you he is "the bomb, baby".
All are invited to my AI Finale Party. Wouldn't that be worth the trip, Andrea? Then we could all watch "The Jazz Singer" together. I don't even know what that is but if you come to my house I will watch it with you! Whitney
P.S. There is something very major missing from AI right now. And it's called MICHAEL JOHNS!
I take it back. You are not a nerd. Obviously I am! I haven't watched one episode and cannot comment.
I agree about the two David's. I think David A. will take it. He has so many teeny bopper fans. We'll see, there are a lot of oldies like us watching the show so you never know. I was dying when Def Leopard was on Dancing. That was just a strange group to have on thier...but I did really enjoy it. They are old and thus I feel old. One of my girls said, "who are those weird guys?"
I only saw a a part of the show, but I heard about Paula. She is completely crazy!
However, I just wanted to tell you that I already bought a ticket for you to come to Scotland with me. First Weekend in September. keep it open!
And by the way you were incredible about the way you responded to my email about Grandma!
Okay...I'm one of the nerds that checks your blog every week and doesn't comment.
Funny thing the other day Aaron wanted to know what you'd said...he's also a fan. It made me laugh.
David A is the next Kenneth Cope maybe. I think I would love to listen to him on Sunday.
I like David C...I hate watching him, but enjoy the music.
I love a pretty face and if Jason were in a crowd of people I would stare at him. From a distance the hair doesn't bother me, it's just when your standing close and you can see the lint and fuzz woven into each lovely lock. I think he may have a good chance at the bottom 2...maybe I just hope because I don't want to spend an evening watching only the 2 Davids.
Syesha doesn't fit in, and she'll end up on broadway, which will be perfect. Actually I could see her acting too maybe.
Brooke is gone, but I'll buy her music.
I think the bottom will be Jason and David C.
OK HI, I am one of THEM
WHAT IS WRONG with blog-stalking...do you know who we are??? hee hee....this is new to me... I am still learning... love your blog
Nicole
Post a Comment