Monday, April 7, 2008

Time Well Spent

It's been quite awhile since I have read a book that stayed with me long after I have read the last page. I finished "The Kite Runner" on Sunday and James and I watched the movie last night. The boys who this story revolve around have imprinted themselves upon my mind. Set in 1970's Afghanistan and into present day America. "The Kite Runner" is the tragic, yet beautiful story of friendship, courage and redemption. What are we willing to stand up for? One of the lines I found most impressive was spoke by Baba the father in this story. He is speaking of his son Amir and states, "A boy who won't stand up for himself becomes a man who can't stand up to anything". Hosseini writes beautifully. I'm glad I read the book 1st, as the reader is able to be a part of and understand so much more the relationship that exists between Amir, Hassan and Baba. The movie sticks 95% to the actual story line and I was truly moved as we watched it and because of the book understood so much more than could be portrayed. These were both time well spent and I highly recommend them. If you're a reader, read the book 1st! "The Kite Runner" has officially been placed upon my "Favorite Books of All Times" list.

0 comments: