Thursday, August 21, 2008

Enjoyable Memory-Sweet Revenge

So I've been slightly disgruntled with my dear father-in-law Jim for a few days. I was sad to learn he had been in our lovely hometown with our sweet sister Rainee a while back and neglected to come visit the cutest grandkids in the world. I won't mention the best daughter-in-law ever though, I don't want to hurt feelings. As I was grumbling to James about this he reminded me of an enjoyable moment from The Annals of Sellick History. It made me feel a tiny bit better. Here's to you Jim!

When James and I were dating, I'm guessing possibly engaged, I was at their home having a fine visit with my beloved. We were probably making out or some other such behavior. I come to this conclusion because it was quite late at night when we emerged from the basement and came creeping up the creaky stairs. We heard a small commotion and as we rounded the corner their stood my soon-to-be-father-in-law mid-flight, in nothing but his G's, with a sandwich in his hand. Even by the light of the stove I could see him blush a million shades of red. He gave us a crooked, shy smile and scuttled off to his bedroom.

I have to interrupt the story to tell you I love that crooked, shy smile. He gets it when he feels embarrassed or has told a good joke and is hoping I find it just as funny as he does. This smile showed itself the day he was trying to compliment me on my hair and told me I looked 'fast'. After seeing my reaction he tried other such savory adjectives like 'streamlined' and 'jaunty'. He finally gave up and told me I looked nice. He was a little flustered. I'm hoping the word he was looking for was 'classy'. I also like that smile, because both of his sons have inherited it. It's pretty much a Sellick thing.

Anyway-James and I laughed and laughed thinking about this poor man and the age old choice he was faced with. It's not much different than the choice Sophie had to make. Food or dignity? Safety and concealment or satisfying a late night growling stomach? He was torn, which was shown by his stretch across the kitchen. Half of his body was recovering from his reach to get at his sandwich and the other half of his body was anxiously trying to get out of that kitchen as quick as he could. He however remained true to form, chose the sandwich and imprinted upon his son's young girlfriend the picture of him in his unawares. I think I had him all figured out in that one moment.

Now to the revenge portion of this yarn...Jim if you ever visit my neck of the woods again and fail to present yourself on my front steps I will pull from my memory every embarrassing and silly story I know about you and post them on this blog for all the world (few as they may be) to read. Trust me, there are dozens of stories...that too is pretty much a Sellick thing.

9 comments:

Natosha said...

Your description of my dad and his cute little shy/guilty smile was perfect. As many times as I saw him in his G's, he never seazed to be totally embarrassed when he was caught. Don't give him too hard of a time for not coming to visit. The last two times I talked to him on the phone, he raved about you and how much he loves it when you invite him over. The key word is "invite." It's a Sellick thing to never want to intrude on anyone...even family. That's why we never call each other. It's a terrible trait.

Tristan Neider said...

Your story reminds me of a very similar story with your dad in the kitchen as Cole and I walked into your house after a date. He didn't act shy about it though and still to this day teases me.

Twisted Sister said...

I love the "fast" hair compliment. I'm planning to use it the first opportunity I have.

Emily Rae said...

An e-mail I received this morning reads:

I love you too Em, and I did read the blog. I must have misled James a little. I was in Burley for the Regada, but I was with some friends on motorbikes and Rainee was not with me. I don't know where she was, but I would have liked having her there. None the less I should have checked in with you for a few moments. After all you may have fed me again. Yum. I can't believe you would talk about a poor, old, half starved, half naked person trying to get a bite to eat. I love you guys. Please hug the family
Love, Jim,Dad,Grandpad,

Anonymous said...

Tristan, that is so funny. There is not one male in our family who is shy about their underwear! I like how my Dad turned the tables and now teases YOU about it.......as if YOU were innapropriate!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Emily, I do believe you have been in Twin Falls a time or two without calling ME! Maybe I should tell an embarassing story about YOU!

Emily Rae said...

I plead the 5th and deny everything.

Anonymous said...

Next time I come to Burley I'm not calling you either.

buildingburkmemories said...

Hey there emily how are you, I am doing great, I bet you wondering who this is, I got your blog from hillary's face book, I to have a blog, this is elizabeth burk, you know back in maple west, yeah thoes are some good memories, any who, We now live in billings montana and we love it here, it's beautiful, Also your kids are growing up so fast, there beautiful, mercedi starts 1st grad tomorrow she is so excited to go, we just moved to billing in july, we were living in elko neveda but hated to live there, so here we are. Well you can look me up on the blog and add me if you would like. my blog is buildingburkmemories.blogspot.com so check us out, well take care and I will chat with you another day. Elizabeth Burk