Friday, August 15, 2008

Closet Communist?

Over dinner last night my brother (in-law) Tim accused me (several times) of being a communist because I wasn't religiously tuning into the Olympics. How could I possibly miss one of the greatest Olympians of ALL times competing for world domination? My apologies Michael Phelps...

I do have a great excuse though. Due to very poor NBC reception out here in the boon docks, I am only able to get fuzz. I was tickled to find last night that I was getting better reception and could therefore tune into the girls all-round gymnastics. I simply had to redeem my Communist self and through a moderate amount of snow I watched as Nastia Liukin took it home and won the gold. To further make amends and show a great amount of dedication, I even teared up while our heart stirring national anthem was played. It gets me every time. I would like to thank that little Russian American beauty for bringing home gold for the good ol' USofA and for helping me to prove that I'm only a Communist when Tim has treats and I expect him to share the loot evenly.

3 comments:

Kirstin said...

I love the American-ness of our team: a Russian girl, a Chinese coach...all Americans. It's a beautiful thing. Why isn't anyone but me complaining about the low scores they gave Shawn Johnson and the high scores they gave the bronze Chinese girl? (Both Chinese girls, really. I'm just mad at the Chinese right now on several accounts.) I am SOO enraged. Anyway, definitely happy about our girls' gymnastics. Glad you're no longer a commie.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Kirstin! Note that every swimmer and every runner, no matter what country they are representing, compete for one of our American universities!

I was upset by the scoring that evening as well. And very irritated by the reports that those Chinese girls were actually 13 and 14. Cheating!

Natosha said...

My sister-in-law is from China and every time she sees the Communist flag, she claps and cheers. My brother-in-law has spent a lot of time over in China, and I have heard some pretty unbelievable stories. Nothing about China surprises me anymore. It's a Communist country...what can anyone really expect from them? They are ridiculous. Emily, I'm glad to hear that you tear up for the national anthem. I have to hold back the tears every time. I love America.