Saturday, July 12, 2008

Me vs. The Swimsuit

Last year I had the icky pleasure (is that possible?) of going to Cherry Hill with Colleen and her family. I say icky because I HATE wearing a swimsuit and pleasure because it was with Colleen and her kids. Swimsuits and I have never been keen friends. This yuck fest began in high school when it seemed like the only activity the boys I dated wanted to do was swim. In the winter it was trips to Lava Hot Springs and in the summer it was water skiing and the Lava Hot Springs and Ross Park swimming pools. I understand that Pocatello is smaller and there was less to offer activity wise way back when I was a teenager, but certainly there was other things to do besides get me in a swimsuit. Oh those naughty teenage boys!

I digress-I grudgingly put on my tired 5 year old black swimsuit and headed to Cherry Hill with the gang. As I was prepping myself to uncover all that is glorious me I looked down and was staring straight at my skin through a very thread bare swimsuit. Through the winter as my tortured suit sat in my top drawer it had slowly disintegrated and it was only in the bright light of the sunshine that I could clearly see the poor state of my suit. I inspected the rest of the suit and in every area you don't want there to be disintegrated material there was, my favorite place being right down the middle portion of the bottoms. Colleen told me not to worry, it wasn't noticeable and we proceeded to frolic in the water. Can't you just picture Colleen and I frolicking? I'll flatter myself and pretend the looks I was getting was because I was rockin' a hot bod and not a see through suit. Upon arriving home the sorry excuse for a suit was promptly escorted to the garbage, which I knew would force me to buy a new suit.

One FULL year later I have finally found my dream suit. With my families Bear Lake Jubilee quickly approaching I knew it was time to bite the bullet, face my demons, stare danger right in the face and purchase a new suit. Colleen to the rescue! There is this wonderful little company out of Utah called Hapari Swimwear. They have the cutest and best suits ever. The tankini tops can be worn 3 ways and they have these fabulous tummy tuck bottoms that keep my 4 baby belly tucked away and my extra hip cushions in check. They are put together very well and with high quality fabric. Sooooo worth the money! I have never, ever felt comfortable in a swimsuit and for the 1st time in my life, while I know my body won't get me those Victoria Secret gigs, I feel OK in a suit. Plus-my sweet James seems to think I look good. Blinded by love I tell ya! I tried to get a pic to post off of the Hapari website, but couldn't. Check out the link to see their line of swimsuits. I got the 'Coco Bay V-neck' with brown tummy tuk bottoms. L O V E it!

3 Cheers for Hapari! Hip! Hip! Hooray!Hip! Hip! Hooray!Hip! Hip! Hooray!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should of just posted a picture of YOU wearing the swimsuit for us to see!

Emily Rae said...

Now there is a missed opportunity...

Kirstin said...

Emily, I feel for you!!! I was swimming with my sisters/mom/in-law and was running all over in my bare suit having a gay old time. It wasn't until the last day of the trip we noticed mine was completely see-through on the behind. I could've died!!! Glad you found a good suit. I'll check them out... HAVE SO FUN AT BEAR LAKE!!! LUCKY!

heidi said...

That was a very intense post. I feel like I was that same girl in high school. I grew up wearing shorts over my swimsuit and never would be seen without. Two years ago my boyfriend convinced me that I should not wear the shorts. Such a pervert.. and yet I am grateful for the change. Why not embrace what is mine!