Revisions in italics and red due to not clearly expressing myself in a proper manner and a stern scolding from an anonymous reader. I consider myself duly spanked. I hope we can become friends in the future. I'm a really nice person, I promise. I have at least 5 people who can vouch for me.
I recently heard this doozy of a statement while attending another ward's sacrament meeting. It was obviously said in innocence, but with nothing preceding the statement and nothing for a follow up explanation, it tickled my twisted funny bone:
"I will miss being in this bishopric. I will especially miss the water fights at girls camp. Maybe I will have to sneak up there next summer."
Anyone for a big, heaping help of creepy? I'm crossing my fingers the bishop (my Dad?! who also had a goodhearted chuckle) took note and gives this fine, flustered brother (flustered because the outgoing bishopric was just released and a WHOLE new bishopric was sustained and he was feeling the emotion of it and feeling a little put on the spot) a calling in the library (comedic license from blog dominator). I'm guessing later that night as he was sitting at home going over the day and his final words, it hit him and it hit him hard what he said(unless his wife beat him to the punch). Hit him hard because he probably recognized how out of place it may have sounded to those of us sitting in the congregation with no background information or knowledge of this certain brother's personality. I can just see him slapping his forehead with realization and embarrassment. I'm sure it kept him up all night wondering how many people caught what he said, talked about it and then later blogged about it...We ALL noticed buddy, every last one of us and we're still laughing at how funny it sounded from the pulpit. We know you are not a molester by any means. Heck! We don't even know you at all. What we do know is that when you are put on the spot to speak you get a little nervous and say things in a funny manner that make people who don't know you laugh at your expense and then those innocent people who are laughing get schooled about laughing at it. While I could make an edict to never laugh again at out of place, absurd statements in an attempt to never judge anyone, I would fall seriously short of any such personal goal. I will therefore continue to laugh away, possibly blog about it with way more background information than necessary and wait for the onslaught of misunderstanding...I think I see a vicious cycle on the way.
Personal Revelation
8 years ago




14 comments:
Um...ok, did he say this from the pulpit?
Who would miss girls camp anyway? Even I don't miss girls camp.
I would hope that if there were any inappropriate intentions at girl's camp they would be reported BEFORE now. While I think the statement is inappropriate, I am not sure this brother's intentions are/ were such. I don't know the setting of the water fights - while the girls were in canoes? I don't like being judged on one statement by someone who doesn't know all the facts.
No worries from me or about me. I was shamefully telling my daughter what I had written while going to your original blog. I KNOW YOU ARE A NICE person for you cute blog. I have no hard feelings or anything. I guess I was thinking about times I have been misunderstood with both feet in my mouth. I enjoy your blog and thoughts. Please forgive if I have offended in any way!
Even reading it without your italics, I got the sense Brother Creepy probably meant that statement to be light-hearted and innocent, however I do NOT find it to be inappropriate for Sacrament Meeting. But that is probably because I look for ANYTHING which might be deemed as entertaining in Sacrament Meeting.
And furthermore, Emily, this is YOUR blog and YOUR thoughts. You have a witty, dry sense of humor and are a lot of fun. It has been nice getting to know you better through YOUR blog. Whoever "Anonymous" is probably doesn't know this about you, because if they had, they wouldn't have judged YOU or felt it necessary to "spank" you on YOUR blog.
You need not apologize to ANYONE about about their hyper-sensitiveness regarding YOUR thoughts. Plus, you can not control whether-or-not the people who read your blog make judgments regarding the subjects you write about. I guess you could worry about that, but then this blog would not be an extension of who you are and it wouldn't be as much fun to follow.
And to "Anonymous", whoever you are. Be a brave enough and confident enough to say what you want without hiding behind anonymity. It only gives the reader a reason to null whatever important point you felt you had to make by publicly "spanking" someone on THEIR turf.
Better yet, pulling the person aside, privately, is probably the most appropriate way of voicing your concerns. I would have liked to do that with you, but you left no way for me to contact you seeing as to how your hiding behind your mommy's skirt... er... anonymity.
Emily, be yourself. Feel free to express yourself and apologize to "No one." That's why we love you.
You have certainly not offended me Sister Anonymous, just made me laugh at how what I wrote could be misunderstood, just as the poor brother who was speaking---see the cycle of it all? Is that how you define irony? So you know...even at almost 33 my own mother still has to 'spank' me for being irreverent. It's an almost weekly occurrence. I might run rampant otherwise.
Super thanks for having my back and for being one of my 5. You are now my new wing man. I'll be Maverick and you can be Goose and because Sister Anonymous and I have extended the olive branch she can be Iceman. What do you say? They were all friends by the end of the movie. The only problem is I could never bring myself to be attracted to Kelly McGillis-Blech-
Oh, my goodness! I don't care what Emily says, Anonymous, who the heck are you? Gabe is right. Those who know Emily and are her friends know that it was just a funny thing to hear in sacrament! I totally got you Em, without the added italics!
Wow! These blogs are dangerous!
Sister Anonymous I would like to introduce you to Whitney my sister 'what bites'. When I was in kindergarten and she was 3, I was having a problem with a bully at school. One night over dinner I was recounting to my parents how I had told this boy all about my dad who could beat up his dad and my brother who could beat him AND his brother up. My teeny, tiny sister in a flurry of indignation asked, "Did you tell him you had a little sister what bites?"
I always know my sister what bites will stand up for me as one of my 5. She too is a loyal wing man and will now be know as King Cobra. Little yes, but with a bite to bring one to their knees.
Now I know where Emily gets her loyalty from. That is one of the great things about her. I always know that she's got my back. I love her for that.
Aah! My 3rd has arrived...Natosha, another teeny, tiny who packs a punch. She can attack a situation fiercely and is hard to contain, smiling the entire time no less. Her new call sign is "Blaze" for her ability to burn hot and the need for her fire fighter husband Cody to put her out.
My squadron grows. Anyone up for being my 4th and 5th?
I'll be your Goose anytime, dude. ...But wait, he dies! What the???
How about, you can be Napoleon and I will be Pedro?
"Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache."
Yeah-That works. How are your skills though?
Skills with a bow-staff, check. Numb-chuck skills, check. Cake baking skills, check. I'm your Pedro, dude!
Oh! You guys are too funny!
I haven't watched that movie in a long time. Now I'm in the mood to watch it!
Post a Comment