Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Word to the Wise

This whole coaching thing, while fun, is starting to show it's true colors. We haven't even had our first practice yet and it's already abundantly clear what the hardest part is going to be...


Parents!

I send this plea out into the unknown-

Please be the parents that just go with it. Please e-mail/call with your questions, not suggestions for how to run things better. A suggestion to, "Contact the parks and rec department head and get yourself better acquainted with the field numbers," causes me to suggest you request a new coach to harass.

If the coach asks in a funny, clever manner to have your player at the fields at 6:50 for a 7:00 practice and to look for the guy on crutches, wearing a red t-shirt that says "Assistant to the Regional Manager"...go with it.

There are only 2 fields, literally side by side, with a field of vision clear from left to right, right to left. May I suggest you slowly drive your car by at 15 mph. Scan the sure to be scare crowd and look for red shirt/crutches. It can't be that hard. Maybe if I had also added the coach is the 'roughishly handsome' one the instructions would have been clearer.

Can't wait to meet this warm and fuzzy dad. I've already determined he's "The Man of the House" type of personality. I do a lot better with 'equally yoked' type fellows.

Trying to decide if his kid plays left field all season.

Decided: Don't want to hear from dad about left field position-will have his kid play catcher.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a school teacher - TRY BEING A SCHOOL TEACHER WITH 33 students x 2 adults to please.
It is difficult at best. . . a reader who understands.

Twisted Sister said...

Not left... stick him in right field. :-)

Whitney said...

I agree with Carrol. If he doesn't like it then HE can coach next year!