Thursday, April 29, 2010

Who's the Boss?

A few facts to precede this anecdote:


*Tess has recently followed in the footsteps of her older siblings and is waking up 7-8 times a night crying and will not be soothed until a parent enters her room, gives her a drink and tucks her back in. This started with Olivia, then Mark and then Nate. I have not slept through the night in 10 yrs...since the day Olivia was born. No jest.

*We have had a problem around here with Legos. Lots and lots of Legos. They can be found in every corner of our abode, top to bottom, inside and out. Various Lego structures and ships can be found on counters, dressers, shelves and under beds and they are not to be disturbed. Nate likes to build a ship and put every teeny, tiny Lego he can find in his ship. "Bullets" he calls them. On Monday I had had a belly full. "Legos----if not entirely picked up in 30 min.----timeout for 2 weeks." The 2 weeks part was James' addition to the equation. As Legos are what Nate does all day, I'm not quite sure what we'll do for 2 full weeks. However, the Boss of Sellickville had spoken. End of the story? 2 crying boys with the beloved Legos in timeout. This was due to 2 naughty boys playing with the Legos instead of cleaning up the Legos.

*Mark, as mentioned in the previous fact, has a hard time following through. Every morning finds me in a less than stellar mood as I assign him easy tasks such as, "Please go make your bed, get your shoes on and then get your jacket on." Every morning finds him perched on his bed playing with some toy. I'm ready to walk out the door and Mark is in "going nowhere" mode. Needless to say, most mornings find Livvy and I waiting in the van for Mark. Tuesday again found me with a belly full of said behavior and Mark was grounded from friends and the Wii.

Now the anecdote:

Yesterday afternoon, because of 10 yrs. of sleep deprivation, I decided to catch a little nap with Clint. I tend to tune things out in these moments, 5 kids or not. I just cross my fingers the crackers won't be spread from, in the words of my mother, "Hell to breakfast." I'm not sure what it means, but I've always liked the sound of it. In between my winks I heard a knock on the door...

Mark: "Hey Tanner! I'm grounded. Come on in."
Nate: "Tanner the Legos are in timeout, but I know where they are. Let's go!"
Emily: Am I actually sleeping? I am. I am actually getting some sleep. Play on boys. Play on.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

Haha......"hell to breakfast"......We should ask her where she got that from.

You need a Mommy/Daddy vacation!

Tristan Neider said...

Haha! So funny. I was telling Cole about this post and he said it sounds like something out of Calvin and Hobbs.