Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Beginnings, Endings and Letting Go

Ah--So many things beginning and ending at this time of year. I always feel this way in December. It's one of those bittersweet feelings. This emotion crept in on me the December we had Olivia. It was the end of my first pregnancy and the beginning of a whole new life as a parent and mother. I loved and cherished every minute that December and it will go down in history as my best Christmas ever.

Whitney's family is sure to have the best Christmas ever with the arrival of Shayna Layne yesterday. I'm headed to their abode as soon as I'm done typing this. I hear she's absolute perfection and can't wait to kiss her little cheeks and cuddle her in close. My sister is the type of gal who likes to get in, get the job done and get out...period. She did just that yesterday and is checking out of the hospital as soon as Hank's Christmas program is done today. Me, I like to sit for a few days and gear up for what awaits me at home. I like to sleep and sleep, only waking up to nurse my newborn every few hours. Although if I had my sisters deluxe king sized bed waiting for me I'd probably be in a hurry to get home too. I'll post pics with permission soon. It's the beginning and the end of an era for this family as well. Whitney calls Shayna her "Cherry on Top."

We too are heading into our own beginnings and endings. I tell you-December is always the key. We were pleasantly surprised to find we are expecting our own "Cherry on Top" July 26th. Of our 5 babies, this one is our first official 'surprise'. While we were planning on ONE more baby sometime next year, we weren't planning on it happening just yet. Heavenly Father always has different things in mind. You'd think we would have learned our lesson by now. Due to the complete surprise of it all we had no idea when this baby was to arrive, so yesterday we went for an ultrasound. She/He is still so tiny and undefined at 8 weeks, but that little heartbeat was just a going. My own heart skipped a beat. It's still so wonderful, awe inspiring and new even 5 times later. Another bittersweet feeling-life growing, but also the knowledge we are planning for this little Sellick to be our last. Newborns are a hard thing to give up.

And finally---letting go---Pregnancy doesn't always bring out my get up and go, cowgirl self. My pace slows waaaaay down right from the get go. No morning sickness just wicked headaches and the extreme desire to stay in bed the first 14 weeks. No can do! December doesn't allow for the growing of babies and with that comes the need to let go of half of the things on my 'To Do" list. The biggest one being my Christmas cards. I LOVE sending and receiving Christmas cards. It's one of my favorite things-so traditional-so warm. I'll use this years cards for next year and I don't know what I'll do with the 60 identical pictures I have of my kids. Wallpaper a bedroom? If you still want one (Natosha?) put in a request and I'll get it in the mail AFTER Christmas. Anyone who reads my thoughts through this blog would have received one of my Christmas wishes and you will all have to simply settle for this picture and message instead...Know we love you. Know we think about you. Know we hope you have a happy holiday season. I get to hold a newborn and grow my own at the same time. I'm pretty sure my holiday will be perfectly happy.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Congratulations, Emily! That is soo exciting. I noticed you hadn't blogged as faithfully as usual, and was about to call and see if you were okay AND your adorable Christmas cards are usually some of the first in the mail, but understanding how pregnancy takes a toll on one's body, don't worry about it, there will always be next year. Try to enjoy being pregnant! Merry Christmas, Mel

Josie said...

Whew! I thought you were still sewing! Congrats! I do enjoy getting your Christmas card, but I am not sending them out either so Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Well said, Emily. I think that was a great Christmas card. I am very excited about your "cherry on top". We can spoil them together!

Bridgette Allen said...

Wow, how exciting to hear I will soon have another niece or nephew from you two. July is a great month for a baby. I should know since both mine are ruby babies.

Bridgette

andrea said...

Love you Emily. congrats on the new Sellick. Give your new little niece a kiss from me.