Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Just Stick to the Facts Mam'

Here is an endearing picture Olivia drew for me last week. It again reflects her vast knowledge of Helen Keller and the full, history changing life she led. Please give her large exceptions for her 2nd grade spelling of 'died'.







There are 4 things I especially like about this picture:

1) Helen's relaxed, yet reverent crossed arms.

2) Her pants. In Livvy's mind Helen was a tomboy who wouldn't have had to wear a dress like ALL the other girls in this time period.

3) The straight sun rays on the day she was born versus the crooked ones on the day she died.

4) The sun and the moon are both present.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Olivia! Is she afraid of dying? Tell her it's no big deal since we all just get to go live with Jesus anyway.

I enjoy her symbolism. She is right up there with Leonardo Da Vinci!

Emily Rae said...

Whits for my avid readers you need to relate the story you are referring to about Jesus.

Anonymous said...

OK. When Ali Belle was about four-years old, she became very worried about death all of the sudden. I can't even remember what triggered it, perhaps a family home evening lesson about families being together forever. Every night before bedtime she would ask when she was going to die, when I was going to die, when Grammy was going to die, etc. She wanted to know if I knew anyone who died. Was I REALLY sure we all got to go to Heaven? I told her not to worry, that Heaven was a beautiful place where we would get to see our families again. Heavenly Father and Jesus would be there and we would be surprised how happy both they are we were that we came home to Heaven.

Eventually, Ali Belle subsided in asking all the questions. But a few weeks later as we were driving along she was roaming the car sans seatbelt. If you know Ali Belle, she is rarely in a seatbelt. Since she was two she has been pulling a Houdini on her carseats. I started to lecture her, "Ali Belle! Get back in your carseat right now! If we were to get in a car wreck you would go flying through the front window and be killed!"

She responded very calmly, "What's the big deal? We're all just going to go live with Jesus anyway."

I've since learned to changed tactics and tell her she will be maimed for life if she doesn't wear her seat belt. It still doesn't work that well.

More on AI to come. Whits

Kirstin said...

Olivia, so sweet! My favorite part of the picture is the boy at the bottom left sitting so suave. Whits, that story cracks me up.

Natosha said...

Wow...Olivia's picture truly captures Helen Keller's life in its entirety. Out of all the amazing things that could be reported on the history of Helen Keller's life, I find it absolutely hilarious that this is what Olivia chose to focus on. Your kids are so funny. I bet you and James laugh at them all the time...