Monday, May 12, 2008

It Only Cost a Meal

If you ever want free, unadulterated entertainment I have found the best thing to do is sign your name on the line and invite the missionaries to come dine with your family for the evening. The only thing you have to do is cook a meal, knowing they'll probably hate everything about it, then sit back and let the missionaries do the talking. Now we haven't done this at our home for a few years. The last set we had over complained throughout the entire meal about the food I had prepared. I tried to go easy and fix Philly Cheese Steaks. Come on! Who doesn't like those? Beef and young, hard working men seem to go hand in hand. Not so with this dynamic duo. One had the gall to ask why I didn't have au jus to dip them in. "That would be French Dip," I thought to myself and I had decided to go American and make Philly Cheese. I guess our palate is not as developed his. I was so exasperated by the experience I have not signed up to feed the Elders for a couple of years. My heart has softened of late though. I'm sure it's due to my own brother serving in the field. As the sign-up sheet was passed around in Relief Society, I hoped there were nice gals like me in Hawaii trying to fatten up Brant. In honor of Brant I signed my name in BIG capital letters and crossed my fingers he would be blessed for my efforts.

So tonight was the night. I prepared a nice meal, made some cookies and waited ALL day long for our free evening of entertainment to commence. I was not disappointed...Here's to you Elder Brant!

*I served regular ol' steamed carrots with dinner and one of the elders asked me, "How did you cook the carrots Sister Sellick?" How are you supposed to answer that? It wasn't a time honored family secret...I just steamed them in the microwave. I was kinda embarrassed I didn't have some kind of exciting, super special secret to share with him.

*Elder Carrot was trying to talk to a solemn Tess, who scorns men in general, and asked what her name was. I told him, "Tess". He said, "That's her name? What's her full name?". Uhhhhh, "Tess Alayna?" He smartly replied, "So it's just Tess?" I was at a loss and left it at that.

*The same elder a little bit later was trying to ask me a question and forgot our last name he said, "I know it starts with an 'S'". I told him to just think of the actor Tom Selleck and he could remember us just fine. He looked at me funny and I asked him if he knew who Tom Selleck was and he replied that he didn't but, "If you want to ask me about Japanese Anime I can answer any question about it." I had absolutely no reply to that one. I could only look around for the movie cameras and wonder if I was starring in a Napoleon Dynamite sequel titled, "The Fields are White and Napoleon is Harvesting Away". I should have cooked some tater tots.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't fed any missionaries like that. But, I do remember the time that mom and dad were feeding the missionaries and the elders called the night before and put in their order for pizza; where it was to come from, the toppings, the crust, and some root beer. I was sore amazed.

Anonymous said...

I'm mad at you Emily! Where is your AI post?!