Thursday, May 8, 2008

Introspective

Why would I do a post about my kitchen window? I say, "Why not?" I love my kitchen window. It makes me happy. I can stand and do dishes without hating the task. My window makes me smile because:

My Granny has always had a house full of African Violets and they remind me of her. In fact most flowers remind me of her, because she has always had beautiful gardens, inside and outside her home. Also, my mother's sister Sharon made the pot this pretty, pink violet inhabits. I like to look at my blooming violet and think of my Granny's sun room and the dozens of violets growing there.


All of my babies bathe in the kitchen sink for the first months of their lives. I enjoy the bedtime routine of my newborns. They would soak for awhile in a warm sink, then get cozied in jammies, nurse and then sleep for about 15 min. before being awake for the rest of the night. These pictures always remind me of those first few months and make me long to have back my newborns. L to R: Livvy, Mark, Nate, Tess. Can you tell which babies were a month early versus the ones who were born right on time?

I love birds. My mom used to tell us that Santa's birds were always watching us to see if we were being good. They would then fly back to the North Pole and give Santa a report. ALL birds are Santa's birds when you are 6 years old. This works like a charm with our kids and the tree outside the window by our dining table is full of messengers to Santa. These happy birds make me whistle while I work.

I've mentioned the view from the front of our house before and it's worth mentioning again. Looking out across vast acres of farmland with mountains in the distance is very satisfying. My mind does a great deal of deep pondering as I look out upon this view from my kitchen window. God's work is very apparent in even the simplest of scenes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your African Violets look beautiful! What am I doing wrong? No blooms and wilty leaves. Ugh! I know you told me they were tempermental.

I like your pictures and your post. Love, Whits

Christine said...

Cute post. I love the baby pics of all the kids. They are so darling!

Twisted Sister said...

Well said Em, fun to peek into your mind.

Kirstin said...

Emily I love how peaceful and happy you are about life! It's the secret, I think. I love that you keep your babies photos there. Thanks for the tip on the birds. I'm going to start using it tomorrow.

andrea said...

Loved this blog. I also love my window, have baby pictures in the kitchen, and I love birds. I brought some of my birds from the beach house to Culpeper. And, you have inspired me to try violets again. Your babies are so sweet too. All lined up in a row.

So, Em are you going to watch AI next week? I am happy with the final three, but would love to see David Cook go. (Rich's fav)

Emily Rae said...

Of course I'll watch! I am a loyal fan forever. James and I are starting a grassroots effort to get Syesha to the final 2. We are going to overwork our fingers next Tuesday and vote for 2 hrs. straight. Ryan Seacrest said the final 3 were all within 1 million of each other, so I think Syesha has a Hilary Clinton chance to make it to the final 3. The Idaho super delagates are going into 'Operation Chaos' mode. We are going towork overtime to see what we can do. Send my regards to Rich!

Natosha said...

I also have pictures of your kids in front of my kitchen window...They are so cute, and it makes me happy every time I look at them...I also have pictures of them on the fridge, in the living room, bathroom...It's pretty ridiculous.