Sunday, May 4, 2008

Date Night-Great Night

A police officer will tell you swing shift on weekends is the best shift to work during a work week. That is when all the action occurs. There are more drunks out, more fights to break up and there is a whole lot more crime to stop. However, us buzz killing wives at home will tell you the best shift to work is day shift, which also happens to be considered by many a police officer the most boring. It's the one time of the year that we are on the same sleep schedule, I can be as loud as I want during the day, and James is home at 5:00 p.m. It feels almost normal. We are even able to watch a little t.v. together and I sometimes let him use the remote. The very best part of day shift is that 'date night' can actually happen. This is the ONE shift that is 100% conducive to having a life beyond work, home and children.

I'm not trying to boo hoo, but we haven't been on a true date for a l o n g time. Of all the reasons to get out of police work...the need for date night is above and beyond safety, mental wellness and $$$ security. Hooray for day shift!

Our babysitter had it easy last night. I had Tess in bed and the kids fed, popcorned, candied and watching a movie when she got here. I remember earning $1 an hour when I used to babysit and I did dinner, baths, beds, etc. Our dear little sitter, whom we love GREATLY, earned $5 an hour for chillin' for a few hours watching a movie with the kids. Now that's a great gig. Nate was even sad when he woke up in the morning and Bridgette wasn't here. I'm glad he missed me...

A date night for us is clockwork and is exactly how we like it. We dined at one of the millions of Mexican restaurants here in Burley and then went to see a movie. We were the only people eating dinner, I'm guessing due to the later hour and really enjoyed talking and laughing. And what do we talk about? Our kids! We need the few hours away from the little darlings, but they are who were laugh at, worry about and relish in. We also talked about other things, but you have to shrug your shoulders at where conversation always ends up..."You'll never guess what Nate tried to say today!"

It was then off to the movie with every single teenage boy in Burley, ID NOT at the Cinco Damayo party. As we sat in the lobby watching the various mini-testosterons walking around we'd point one out and say, "Oooo! I hope Mark doesn't look like him at 16!" or, "There is no way Livvy is getting out the door with a boy like that!" or "Finally! There is a clean, cut, handsome boy. We better freeze him for later!" I totally fear the teenage years. Can't we just skip that time all together and have our children magically turn into well rounded, gospel sided individuals? If only...

We really had no clue what Iron Man was about, but left in love with the movie and in love with Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man was absolutely worth seeing and I would really like to see it again. It was action packed and appropriately funny. RD Jr. was perfect in this part and his timing and acting were superb. He is another actor that we don't have much experience with and we both found him to be very good at what he does.

With these thoughts in mind----Hire a babysitter and go have fun! We will be doing this again and again over the next 2 mos. trying to get in as much 'us' time as possible until the next shift change...or job change...


5 comments:

Josie said...

We haven't had a date night in a very long time either! We even have gift certificates from Christmas we haven't used! I am going to cash them in soon!

Christine said...

Good for you guys..you deserve a lot of date nights. I agree about the babysitter deal. They are making a killing and I haven't found many that clean or cook!

Anonymous said...

OK, now I am going to see that movie! Thanks for the recommendation.

It won't be long until Livvy is babysitting for you guys!

Anonymous said...

About the teenage years, you have no idea. Nobody ever does until they are in it. Everyone said, "Just wait until they are a teenager." I never understood that. Now my mind is consumed with the stress of it all. You never want them to get older until they are a teenager. Then all of a sudden you are thinking can't we just skip through the next couple years! BRITESHA; Britesha; Britesha... Her friends(boy) want to know why I act like I don't like them. I told her to tell them I will like them after she is 22 years old.

Natosha said...

Your babysitter's name is Bridgette? Does James call her Bird $*#@ (Bleep). Anyway, we just went and saw Iron Man this weekend. I love Robert Downey Jr. I think people who are psychotic alcoholics make for really good actors. It's kind of sad, but true...