Monday, February 11, 2008

Week in Review

While plenty happens every week in the lives of the Sellick Six, not everything is worthy of a report. Here are just a few highlights of our past week....

Today was Lunch with Mom Day at Olivia and Mark's school. I'm happy to report that lunch has NOT changed in the last 25 yrs. The only difference noted was how the milk is presented- plastic instead of paper. The room still smells the same and the lunch ladies are still happy to be feeding the masses. I think I heard "Move along now" about 5 times. It made me think of the song "Shiny, Happy People". Boy were those ladies happy. We had taco salad and apple crisp and lots of silly conversation. We talked Webkinz and the kids have decided I need my own because I played on Webkinz last night for about 30 min. Its addictive! It was well worth the $ to go spend 30 min. with Olivia and Mark and see how tickled they were to have me there. They like me! They really like me!

Our little Tessie is a whirlwind. Never mind the plethora of toys we have laid about the house...She wants what is NOT laying about the house. She's hit that fun age where books no longer live in the bookshelves, an open dishwasher is play heaven, bathroom cupboards are a smelly wonderland of lotions and deodorants and paper plates are meant to be played with not eaten off of. It seems when babies are at this age the main objective is to search and destroy. It is their mission from the break of dawn until nightfall to undo everything that is done and not to play with those organized items, just to undo those organized items. It's hard to get mad though when you see how proud she is about the chaos she has created.

We are just now coming out of a yucky winter storm. The kids have had 4, yes 4, snow days. We have not had huge amounts of snow, but the wind that accompanied the snow caused it to drift up and over the roads and made them impassable. The drifts by our church reached the roof of the building. It wasn't the type of snow to go out in play in either. With the wind as it was there was no snow in the yard to play in. It was all in the roads. Crazy! My kids liked the 1st snow day, but by the 3rd one they were dying to go back to school just to have something to do and somebody to talk to besides me. We don't live in a 'neighborhood' so there are no kids to call up next door to come and play. They had grown accustomed to my face and were sick to death of it...and for my part...I was tired of breaking up fights and trying to suggest things to do.

My husband James gets a gold star and some other unmentionable kudos for restoring my best friend the t.v. this week. It was restored just in time for me to tune into Lost, Survivor and American Idol. I have been without it since September and it really has been hard. It is a luxury that turned into a necessity, just like my iPod, high speed internet, cell phone and Oil of Olay (nongeneric). Is it bizarre that these worldly, often times naughty shows make me happy? I'll admit it for everyone, yes!! I really am embarrassed by how happy I was to be able to sit down at night and let my mind drift to 'other' matters besides my life in Burley.

I just have to say I love, love, love Lost. What a great show. The characters drive me crazy and I find myself yelling at Ben (the bad guy) to just spit it out and tell Jack, Locke and the survivors what the heck is going on. I then stop myself with the realization there would be no show to watch or story to follow if he did so. It's the unknown that is so intriguing. For those 'other's out there who consider themselves "Losties", who is Jacob and why do the four members who helicoptered in want Ben?

P.S. Come back Charlie!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hank is a pretty good boy, but he was the worst about pulling EVERY book out of the bookshelves. Sometimes I just let him do it so I could clean the bathroom or something. It did keep him busy for a while. He also liked to unload every item out of every cupboard. What is it about some kids?

Lyf2.0 said...

Ugh... Lost, really? You just lost some points with me Emily.

I can't believe you guys have had 4 snow days. That never happens out there. Darn global warming...

Emily Rae said...

Yep! Love it and always will. You have to list 5 things WRONG with Lost before you get to have an opinion about it, otherwise your disagreement holds no water with me. Let's not let our budding relationship be based on Lost, but on our mutual hatred of dogs. Give me my points back! I expect a list within the next 5 days Gabe! I've come to value your opinion and insight. While it may not change my mind, it could spark some deep thoughts.

Lyf2.0 said...

Five Things That are Wrong with Lost:

1. Slow.
2. Slow.
3. Slow.
4. Did I mention SLOW?
5. This is the 3rd or 4th season and they're, like... on day 11 on the island.... SLOOOO---OOOOOW

Anonymous said...

Okay...Okay. I'll give you that. I count that as one of my good traits though-patience. I just have to know the secrets of the island. Do I get my points back though? And what do I get when I reach 100 points?

Lyf2.0 said...

Ok... you can have some points back and I do a point's reward system in increments of thousandths. When you reach 10K, you get a new car... So, you have a way to go still... I'll let you know when you've made it and when you can come pick up your car.