Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chain of Command

The following conversation ensued after Nate was given what we loving refer to as a 'road whippin'. This little meeting between parent and child was invented by my father and occurs at those moments in time when children are not making good choices whilst in the car. Due to limited parental access to the children when behind the wheel the parent cannot properly discipline the naughty rebel rousers and they are therefore forced to pull over to the side of the road and dole out the proper punishment. I myself have been on the receiving end of many a road whippin'. It was usually because I was fighting with my older brother Ryan and my brain rattled father couldn't take it any longer. Ryan and I would fight about anything from the color of the sky to him putting a scab he had just picked off onto my own person. Now as a mother I understand my dad's limitations.

For those of you asking, yes we spank. While we don't do it often, some moments do call for corporal punishment. A seatbelt off on the insterstate while traveling 75 mph is just one of those moments. Never fear though dear readers, my kids all still love me (just as I still adore my father) and have all learned the hard way not to run out into the road willy nilly.

The incident in reference today occurred over the weekend and a 'road whippin' was put into action due to a sassy Nate taking his seatbelt off and refusing to put it back on. The above tangent aside, I have to appreciate Mark's understanding of the chain of command in our home. It was said with earnest sincerity.

Emily: Spank!

Nate: "I'm going to tell on you!"

Emily: "Who are you going to tell?"

Nate:.....pause....."MARK!"

Mark: "Well I can't very well whip her Nate. She would whip me back harder."

2 comments:

Kirstin said...

That's so funny!!! You're brave to do it in public at the side of the road. You never know who might disagree and report you...

Emily Rae said...

That's the joy of a van...I can crawl right into the back unseen and swat the offending bum.