Sunday, March 2, 2008

Movies Worth a Peek

As mentioned in previous posts James and I are movie addicts. We indulge ourselves in Netflix and I think it is one of the greatest inventions ever. We always have a movie waiting for us, which comes in great on slow t.v. nights and rerun summers. We take turns choosing the movies, but is so happens that the last 4 (accident!) we watched were all of my choosing. Here are a few thoughts about these movies. I will also review our other movies as we watch them because I know you crave my wit and opinion.

Becoming Jane * * * * *
I have always enjoyed a good Jane Austen novel and this movie encompassed all of her irony, love and humor. While it is loosely based on her relationship with Thomas Lefroy it is still very romantic and heart wrenching and had me in tears at the end. I find it very interesting that Jane's life closely followed the majority of her characters, with the exception of the happy ending. She herself died unmarried at the age of 42. Anne Hathaway and James McAvoy are superb in their roles and watching them alone makes it time well spent.

Waitress* * * *
Disregarding the immorality running rampant through this film, it is a quirky and funny watch. Keri Russell, whom I have not much experience with, plays Jenna, a pregnant waitress in a dead end, abusive marriage. She vents her frustrations out by making a brand new pie everyday and on her baby doctor. While James and I are an easy laugh, we did find many, many parts to laugh about in this tale and the heartwarming ending. Watch out for her obnoxious husband! I was literally uncomfortable every time he had a scene.


The Nanny Diaries * * *
This was an OK watch. We did laugh (again, we are any easy laugh). I've never been a big Scarlett Johansen fan. It might be because I get sick of hearing about how 'sexy' she is. I have a different standard than those who have given her such a label. Woody Allen is sooooo far from an authority or someone I would trust. What James and I found the most interesting was the people this story is about. Annie is hired as a nanny for the 'X Family' to essentially raise their only son, who happens to be a pretty cool kid. People like the 'X's' have to really exist. There are people out there who have kids for the 'show' factor and not to truly parent them. They are an accessory. It's weird to analyze your own life and realize there are many people in this world who live a completely different lifestyle than your own.

As You Like It -Blah!
I feel sad about this review as one of mine and James favorite movies is Much Ado About Nothing. Gotta love Michael Keaton as Dogberry. The idea of another Shakespeare comedy tickled our fancy. I only made it about 20 min in before I had to sadly turn it off. After about 10 min I get into the groove of the Shakespeare speak and understand 95% of the dialog. I just could never get this one down. Bryce Dallas Howard is beautiful as Rosalind, but I still couldn't catch the story or feel invested enough to finish it. Much Ado About Nothing is a much better watch and highly recommended. I will leave you with our favorite quote from the movie:

Dogberry: Dost thou not suspect my place? Dost thou not suspect my years? O that he were here to write me down an ass. But masters, remember that I am an ass: though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass. And Master, sir, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall assert, that I am an ass.

6 comments:

Christine said...

I've been in the mood for a good chick flick and thanks for the suggestions!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to watch "Becoming Jane" and "The Waitress"! I am mad at you though because you haven't read "The Other Boleyn Girl" yet. It appears you trust the media's judgement over mine!

Anonymous said...

P.S. Has anyone invited you on "Good Reads" yet?

Anonymous said...

Can I believe that Brant will be home soon....NO? It hasn't been 2 years. My life is flying by, and there's nothing I can do about it!

I liked Becoming Jane, but it was so sad. My sister also said the Waitress was good, but that I should watch it alone, in other words with...to much sex. I am trying to spare my husband or maybe just myself. I don't want him to get any good ideas!

I do want to see The Other Boleyn Girl, but it might have to be a girls night. My favorite girl doesn't live here anymore....I'll make due, unless she is planning a trip this way?

Emily Rae said...

Brant is home NEXT year in March. This Thursday marks 1 year out. Yikes! Time would have been flying!

Anonymous said...

ok...2009 I can deal with that. I didn't look close enough when you wrote 2009 next to Brant coming home...my brain must be fried.