Sunday, January 18, 2009

Wait and See

My mother is currently on a '3rd Rock from the Sun' kick and watches it in re-runs almost nightly. Last night we enjoyed a few episodes with her. One of the episodes involved a character getting pregnant and giving birth all within 24 hrs. I commented about how nice that would be and left it at that.

Later that night as I laid in bed I started thinking about the baby I was cooking and changed my mind about the whole 24 hrs. thing. I decided 2 things about 9 months of pregnancy:

1) The reason we women can give birth is because after 9 months of no sleep, heart burn, backaches and general discomfort, we don't care what it takes, cut us in half, just get the baby out. The 9 months allows us to prep for that painful moment and we can't wait to get it done. Odd, but comforting.

2) I also concluded it is during that long 9 months we bond with the little personage we are growing. We think and think and think about the baby. Boy or Girl? Redhead or blond? Watcher or activist? What will we name it? Will the baby have Mark's saucer eyes or Tess' plump little tush? Should I drink that Diet Coke (sadly the answer is usually yes!?) And for me, after 4 kids, I know that the minute I hold this new baby I will fall instantly, head over heals in love and I often find my mind wandering to that precise moment----being introduced to the spirit Heavenly Father is entrusting to my care. Nothing better, nothing.

And while the end of July seems sooooo far away and I wouldn't want the time to go any longer, I am going to enjoy this time (maybe for the 1st time) and dream about this baby and gear myself up for the surprise I know it will be.

3 comments:

Bridgette Allen said...

You are so right about the whole pregnancy thing. YOu do such a good job making those cute little people, Emily. I sure do wish I was closer so that I could spend some time with those little nieces and nephews of mine. It does make me curious to imagine what type of unique personality traites this new addition will bring into the family.

buildingburkmemories said...

I didn't know you were expecting, congratulations, how fun for you, Not!!!! J/K just on the 9 months of carrying, I am so ready to be done, and I am only 6 in half months, still got to go until the mid end of april, so I so no what you are talking about right now, I just want to feel better, and so I look forward to the laboring process, and then to automatically fall in love with that little baby, How beautiful that experience is that is for sure, So good luck until the end of july

Brit said...

I can't believe you are pregnant!! Congrats!!! I am glad it is you and not me at the moment!!!