Thursday, January 8, 2009

What Bad Dreams are Made Of

I'm one of those fun sleepers who has incredibly vivid dreams and those dreams never seem to be fun, I'm at Disneyland dreams. They usually involve James leaving me for no good reason, one of my kids coming up missing or the inability to accomplish a certain task. I usually wake up in tears. I think this says a ton about my self esteem and confidence. I need to go talk to Oprah and have one of her "Ah ha moments". Maybe she will then send me on a trip for a week and grant me a free car, taxes taken care of.

One never need to wonder why my kids are such restless sleepers...they get it from me.

I have about 6 reoccurring dreams that I get about once a month. One of my favorite always happens after I chew gum. I dream I have a HUGE wad of gum in mouth that is sticking to my teeth and I can't get it out of my mouth. For some reason I always end up getting a popsicle stick to try and pry it out. It never works. Talk about nightmare. It made me give up gum permanently, but I do still have this dream. It most likely occurs after watching one of my kids gnaw on a piece.

Last night I had one of the dreams I dread and hate the most...a return to school. This dream always begins in the morning and I'm getting ready for school. I'm never a kid. I'm my 33 year old self, headed back to high school. I suddenly remember that I didn't finish my math homework. So I spend the entire morning getting ready, heading to school, wandering the halls and heading to math knowing I only did about 5 math problems. How am I going to explain this to my ultra mean teacher? I can physically feel my heart pounding in my chest. I'm sure this dream only lasts minutes, but it feels like an eternity. Out of nowhere a light bulb pops into my head and I think, "Hey! I graduated and I'm a lot older than any of the kids here! What am I doing here?" I wake up and life is good again...onto the next dream...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily! You are grinding your teeth in your sleep! I promise you, that is what the chewing gum dream is all about.

We will discuss your dreams more when you come to my house. I love analyzing things.

lucky7 said...

You know that is the difference between when we were in school and kids in school now. Teachers just don't care whether you do your work. It's sad, but true. Of course maybe that is just here in Utah.

Hey Whitney, you want to analyze my dream too. Mine is always that I have forgotten to do something simple and because of it my whole family is going to die. At this point of my dream, I can't fix it and I am just waiting for them to die. It is terrifying and seems so real.

Bridgette Allen said...

Interesting dreams Emily. I am curious, where does your sister get all her great dream analyzing thoughts? I have read several books on it and it seems there can be quite a few different interpretations of the same dream.
Angela, you have some odd dreams too. Remember when we used to have some of the same dreams? Too wierd, don't ya think...?

Josie said...

I have the school dream too. Only I am in college and I forgot I signed up for a class and it is the end of the semester and too late to drop so I have to make up the whole semester in a week, or just go take the final and I know nothing about the subject oh, and some of the grade was on attendance! NIghtmare!