Imagine me on a soapbox....
I was sitting in the temple last night thinking about priorities. My priorities to be exact.
Am I personally doing everything asked of me?
Will my children be successful in this life because I put forth the necessary effort to teach them?
Does my husband know the desire I have to be with him forever by my own actions?
Am I fulfilling my church calling to the very best of my abilities and as I have covenanted to do, devote myself and my time to building up the Kingdom?
Pretty deep questions I know and hardly ever answerable. It was with these thoughts that I woke up with this morning and it was with these thoughts that I did something drastic.
The following discourse is a reflection on ME and no other. I mention Whits in the conversation simply because it was her own actions that were the catalyst for mine. She is hardly the time waister I am and is always setting the example for me to follow and I like having her to follow.
Whitney and I have been talking lots lately about....Facebook....it has sort of taken over our lives. Most every conversation begins with "Can you believe what ???? posted on Facebook last night?" or "Did you see that picture?" Last weekend found us again talking about Facebook and how our time could most certainly be better spent. All of our 15 minutes here and there throughout the day were adding up. What could we have been accomplishing in that waisted time and could we please talk about something else besides what ???? said or posted on Facebook?
I do medical transcriptioning for my brother-in-law Tim. I am on the computer a lot. In between typing I would do a quick peek at my profile and what I thought was a quick peek would almost always turn into 15-20 min. of voyeurism. I have been amazed at what people are willing to put out into the world for people to read and see. Of course the same could be said about this blog (!?).
Step one to re-prioritizing my days, my duties and my need to be more productive:
*Delete Facebook profile
*Take those waisted minutes and turn them into productive minutes. Read a book to Tess, play a game with Nate, refold the towels Clint has pulled from the shelf, read a conference talk....get the rest of this house in order!
Liberating indeed.
Now imagine me stepping off of my soapbox. I will store it for another date in time.




3 comments:
FREEDOM! Don't you feel liberated?
Now let's go read a story to our children ;)
I think you are smart, Emily! I've been thinking the same thing lately...I bet Satan is just laughing his head off that we are wasting so much time, not that we are doing bad things, just neglecting all the good things! Good for you!!
I love you, Em! Great post and I want to be better too. I had fun seeing you yesterday!!!
Post a Comment