Monday, July 6, 2009

A Good Day

We have quite a few 'favorite' days in the Sellick household, each one holding something different and special. Next to Christmas Eve, Independence Day is the ULTIMATE good day for one and all and filled with a history as rich as Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake. The Mark Neider's have been going to Idaho Falls for fireworks along the river for decades now. It is a must have experience and after having missed it the last 2 years, I wasn't about to miss it for a 3rd year in a row...9 months pregnant or not! And even though we didn't get home until 2:00 a.m. and I spent the ENTIRE following Sunday curled up in bed (no joke) it was worth all the fuss.

We spent the day eating, playing, visiting, enjoying the atmosphere and topped the night off with the BEST fireworks show "West of the Mississippi". I dare/beg anyone to try and prove that statement wrong. It was a feast for the senses.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know about IF fireworks! I grew up on Idahurl, too!

Kirstin said...

cute, cute, cute pics!!! Tess's hair is adorable. I can't believe you're nine months pregnant. Time always flies by on someone else's pregnancy. :)

Natosha said...

I love IF fireworks. Although I have to say watching fireworks in DC, directlty in front of the Washington Monument, was unbeatable. I have never seen fireworks like that in my life. It was like a grand finale every time. It must have cost millions. Tax dollars at their best! I was a little dissapointed they didn't have any fireworks in the shape of Obama! The least they could have done was play Obama's National Anthem (the one from Glenn Beck).

Christine said...

I am glad you made it to the fireworks too. Sorry I didn't get to chat much with my extended fam here and everything.

I have to say that growing up in the DC area, I spent every year going to the fireworks and I still love Idaho Falls so much more. DC is an amazing experience, but there is nothing better that the small town experience in IF. Love it here!

Whitney said...

Well, we certainly missed you guys! I'm glad you made it to IF this year, with or without me!

I am requesting chocolate mayonnaise cake at my house on Sunday......or did you have something else in mind? Love ya!

Emily Rae said...

Chocolate Mayo cake it is...

Whitney said...

I can't stop thinking about it.......:)

Natosha said...

Is that a real recipe? It sounds disgusting.

Whitney said...

Actually, Tosh, your brother is the one that introduced it to our family! It does have mayonnaise in it but you can't taste it at all. Emily should post the recipe. It's the kind of stuff I daydream about during the day.

Emily Rae said...

Tosh the mayo aids in making the cake moist, moist, moist. You can't even taste it...so sad the last piece was eaten last night.