Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pretty Pierced Ears

James and I have always like the idea of our kids working towards something. Sort of like a 'time and season' for everything lifestyle...

Baptism at 8 years old
Make-up at 12 yrs old
Dating at 16
Priesthood at 12, 14, 16 and 19
Mission at 19

I never thought about the whole ear piercing timing until my sister mentioned their girls would wait until they were 8 to get it done. Being the copier that I am, I liked the sound of that. Olivia turns 8 on December 9th and the time has been quickly approaching to add a little sparkle to Livvy's ears. While we were at the mall the other day with my mother we were passing Claire's and I said spontaneously, "Hey Livvy! Let's get your ears pierced today!" She looked at me with shock and dismay and said, "Not today. I'm not ready." She was clearly scared. My mom and I talked to her a little bit and told her it was no big deal and she could think about it over lunch. During lunch we were bombarded with questions about the pain, the care and every other thing possible about getting your ears pierced. After a lengthy discussion she told me she would do it only if she could pick out a new pair of earrings to wear when the studs could come out. My little girl knows how to bargain! She was a brave soul and didn't even flinch as the lady got the job done. I think I ended up being more nervous than she was! Olivia is quite pleased with herself and her pretty pierced ears. One landmark down, many more to go!

6 comments:

Lyf2.0 said...

I agree with all of those mile-stones... I just want to add "tatoo" at 13...

Emily Rae said...

I'll talk it over with James. Maybe a nice CTR pendent on her upper shoulder ; )

Lyf2.0 said...

LOL... a CTR tatoo... that's an oxymoron if I ever heard one!

Emily Rae said...

Believe it or not we know someone with that very tattoo. I'm still boggled by it.

Anonymous said...

Who is it?

Emily Rae said...

Some girl from our old ward in Pocatello. She also had a HUGE black tattoo on her lower back that we got to see peeking through her garments every time she bent over on Sunday. Sometimes I would sit behind her just to have a giggle.